Monday, December 06, 2010

Another Golden Oldie: Analyzing My Blog

Back in April, 2009, I wrote the following post:

Analyzing my Blog

I visited Joanna Campbell Slan's blog today at Joanna's 4-1-09 post and read how she analyzed all the blogs she participates in with the Blog Typeanalyzer (Blog Typeanalyzer) which uses concepts from the Myers-Briggs personality test to analyze the writing style in a blog. The concept is that the writing style reflects the persona used by the blogger in writing the posts.

My blog type came up as:

"ESTP - The Doers

The active and playful type. They are especially attuned to people and things around them and often full of energy, talking, joking and engaging in physical out-door activities.

The Doers are happiest with action-filled work which craves their full attention and focus. They might be very impulsive and more keen on starting something new than following it through. They might have a problem with sitting still or remaining inactive for any period of time."

It's probably a fairly good assessment of me, too. I'm happiest when I have a super-long to-do list, like now when I'm planning a virtual tour in May and an actual road tour in June for the release of my second mystery, To Hell in a Handbasket. I do stay physically active, though. However, one thing didn't fit. I am a closure seeker, and when I start something, I follow it through to the end.


The update:

I ran my blog through the analyzer again, to see if more recent posts still fit "The Doer" personality, and they do. It's nice to know I'm consistent. And that's what I'm busy at on my vacation, doing things that my husband and I have dreamed of doing. Those things required that we get some shots, down malaria pills, and take the risk of being subjected to TSA searches, but we think it's worth it. Sometimes you have to make that leap and try something totally new.

And the same thing applies to your writing life. To keep it fresh, you sometimes have to stretch and do something new and different. Have you done anything new or risky lately?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth, I followed your track to the blog analyzer, and how funny were the results! Do you feel your blog-type matches or conflicts with your personality-type? Mine is pretty opposite!

Tiffany Harmon said...

Thanks for this post, Beth! I'm really curious to try this out on my blog as well.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm writing in different genres, which is pretty risky, I guess. But no hot air balloon rides or white water rafting. :)