Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Shrine Pass - A Wildflower Wonder

I'm a little behind on posting photos of my outdoor experiences, because I've been too busy having those experiences to sit in front of the computer and compose a post! Anyway, I took a day off from fun today to do chores and errands (and it rained this morning anyway). So, here are some photos of an August 8th "Women With Altitude" hike to Shrine Pass, above the rest area at the top of Vail Pass in Colorado. Even though it was a little late in the season, the wildflowers were still spectacular, as were the views. A beautiful day!


The photo above features some bright pink stalks of Elephant Head flowers, and the one below is of our group (I'm in a purple shirt).



The photo below is of blue Lupines and white Bistort, also called miner's socks, because of their stinky smell. Below are more lupines and red Indian Paintbrush.










Did you see the deer in the next-to-last photo? The last photo is of blue Gentians.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Beautiful photos and scenery, Beth! At first glance, the ones you call elephant head flowers look a lot like the gay-feathers on our local prairies, but I see they are from different families. Here, it's Sunflower heaven.

Beth Groundwater said...

Thanks, Heather. I'm sure your prairie flowers are beautiful, too.