Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Creating Whoopie at Mayhem in the Midlands

What a fun weekend I had in Omaha, NE at the Mayhem in the Midlands conference! I met lots of new faces, sold a few books, tried to appear astute at my two panels, and participated in the fun. At the Omaha Public Library benefit auction on Friday evening conducted by two very witty mystery authors (Donna Andrews and Chris Grabenstein), I "won" an Omaha steaks package that included a $50 gift card. I put in my order today.

For my "In the Bedroom with Colonel Mustard: Sex and the Traditional Mystery" panel on Saturday, author Carl Brookins brought props: feather boa, whipped cream, honey, and silly string. I cracked up the room with my mention of being an unwilling observer of kangaroo sex. In my "Light at the End of the Tunnel--And It's Not a Train!" panel, I and my fellow panelists discussed light mysteries both in tone and weight (ie short stories). The gut-splitting dinner mystery play on Saturday evening, Murder at Rick's Casablanca Cafe, should have been billed as a comedy, and I learned SO much from Nancy Pickard's interview of Margaret Maron at the brunch on Sunday.

I am best buds now with my car mate and roommate, Patricia Stoltey, author of THE PRAIRIE GRASS MURDERS. Eighteen hours of on-the-road closeness is bound to make you hate or love each other. I'm so glad I've found a new friend in Pat.

No comments: