Friday, April 22, 2011

An Evening in Salida, Colorado

Salida, Colorado is the setting for Deadly Currents, the first book in my Rocky Mountain Outdoor Adventures mystery series. Yesterday, I spent a lovely evening there. It began with a 4:30 - 5:30 PM book signing at The Book Haven downtown, a wonderful independent bookstore with a very friendly owner and staff.

The next two photos are from that event. The first shows two local outdoorsmen on the left and Stew Pappenfort, the Senior Ranger for the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area, on the right. Stew is my go-to expert for the series. Note his ranger uniform and the radio mike slung over his shoulder. The second photo is of a woman who was traveling in Colorado and whose Kindle broke on the air flight. So, she was in the bookstore looking for something to read and picked up a copy of Deadly Currents. She and her husband were going on to Colorado Springs, so I gave them some advice about touring the Garden of the Gods Park there.



After the signing was a lively exchange with the store's bookclub, from 5:30 - 7:00 PM. They had picked Deadly Currents for their monthly discussion and had lots of interesting questions for me. The next two photos are of most of the members of the group. Note the yummy treats!



Finally at 7:00, five of us headed over to The Fritz tapas bar to share some delicious small plates and conversation about Salida and books before I jumped in my car and headed up to Breckenridge, Colorado. I'm joining my husband and son in celebrating the last weekend of the ski resort being open for the phenomenal 2010-2011 season, with over 500 inches of snow total.

3 comments:

Kellie MaRee Fickel said...

Hi Beth! It looks like you had a great time! How exciting to do a book signing and to meet so many wonderful people!

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Wow, that looks like a blast. I'm not surprised they picked your book to discuss.

Your books rock :-)

Best of luck to you!

Beth Groundwater said...

Thanks for the comments, Kellie and Kari, and thanks so much for the compliments, Kari! Meeting with a book club is my favorite type of event. They wine and dine you, usually (if it's not a long-distance phone chat), and they're book people like me, with lots of reading suggestions, curiosity, and an thirst for knowledge. I never have a bad time with a book club.