Sunday, February 08, 2009

Mexico Vacation: Puerto Morelos in the Mayan Riviera, Part 1









My husband, Neil, and I stayed at the El Cid resort in Puerto Morelos for the first week of our trip, and I highly recommend it. The first photograph shows the main courtyard and pool of the resort and the second shows the view of the whirlpool from our condo. The third photograph is of the resort’s tequila tasting room stocked with añejo and extra añejo tequilas, which have been aged for at least a year and should be sipped neat versus mixed in cocktails. Encouraged by our waiters, who kept pouring liberal shots, we and two other couples got absolutely plastered in this room one evening. Needless to say, the next day was spent lying on the beach!

The next two shots are from different poolside evening performances, the first by folkloric dancers and the second by fire dancers.

The last three photographs are from our snorkeling tour to the National Park reef off Puerto Morelos, where lifejackets and guides are required to keep tourists from touching the corals. The first shows me under the awning in the boat, and the next two show fish and coral formations (note the two snorkelers behind the formation in the second one). Neil was the underwater photographer and took some excellent shots.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a bright spot in a dismal winter. It's lovely. I can see where the tasting room would get you. It sounds as though you had a great time.

Chester Campbell said...

Beautiful scenery, Beth. We did a cruise to the Yucatan a couple of years ago and my wife got seasick. Bummer!

Terri P aka WindDancer said...

What an awesome trip Beth! I am so jealous!

Anonymous said...

I am SO JEALOUS. That is all.

Now I'm going back to my freezing rain, mud, and warm tap water.

Joy said...

All I can say is WOW! What beautiful staghorn and fish! I'm jealous!

Joy Delgado
http://www.laughing-zebra-children-books.com
http://goingbeyondreading.blogspot.com/
http://zooprisepartyfiestazoorpresa.blogspot.com/
follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/JOYPublishing

Beth Groundwater said...

The trip was indeed awesome. I'm already dreaming about when we'll be able to go back!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful pics, Beth! The last time I was somewhere that tropical was... well, ummm... TOO many years ago. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!