Monday, January 18, 2010

A revisited "Writer's Week" while vacationing

I'm away on vacation the last two weeks of January, so I've scheduled a few "golden oldie" blogs with updates to keep my blog readers entertained while I'm gone. Hopefully I'll have some juicy trip photos and news to entertain you with on my return, though it sure will be hard to top the South Africa "baboon incident"!

In November, 2008, I wrote a blog titled "A Writer's Week." Here it is again:

Little did I know when I embarked on this new career as a writer how much of my time would be spent on tasks OTHER than writing. This past week I did the following:

- Contacted a bookstore to determine the status of my payment for consignment books, then deposited the check when it arrived,
- Mailed a copy of A Real Basket Case to a Japanese publisher interested evaluating it for publication in Japan,
- Participated in a 20-author library signing event,
- Attended a meeting of the local MWA chapter,
- Wrote the minutes for the local Sisters in Crime board meeting, mailed them out, and sent out an invitation to the members for our December tea,
- Went to my own book club meeting and discussed The Yiddish Policeman's Union,
- Had coffee with a new writer starting on his first novel-length manuscript to offer advice and encouragement and gave advice to another writer on novella markets,
- Made plans to host a fellow author on my blog next month and to host a discussion in a Facebook group next week,
- Started a list of revisions to my author website for my hubby to implement next week,
- Reviewed a second edit of my science fiction novella, The Epsilon Eridani Alternative, and returned my comments and revisions to the editor at Virtual Tales,
- Kept up with my email loops, social networks, and this, my blog, and
- Prepared a talk I will give tomorrow to the local chapter of Pen Women about "Networking Your Way to Success in the Creative Arts."

The only new fiction I wrote this week was one paragraph of new text for the novella. Gotta do better next week!


Okay, now for an update. In the week before I left on vacation, my writing work consisted of:

- Post a guest blog from mystery author Jennifer Stanley on my blog along with a teaser the day before and promote that guest appearance on various email loops, etc.,
- Preschedule my blog post for the Inkspot blog to appear the day I leave on vacation,
- Attend a board meeting of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of Mystery Writers of America,
- Have lunch with some fellow Sisters in Crime,
- Edit and print copies of a chapter from my WIP, the second Mandy Tanner river ranger mystery for Midnight Ink that I'm calling Evil Eddies, to hand out to critique group,
- Review submittals from other critique group members and discuss the submittals at our bi-weekly meeting,
- Send off my entry of To Hell in a Handbasket for the Mainstream mystery/suspense category of the Published Division of the Daphne du Maurier contest run by the Kiss of Death chapter of RWA,
- Book plane flights and a rental car for the Malice Domestic conference and the Festival of Mystery in April and May,
- Keep up with my email loops and social networks.

All that, entertaining my daughter who was visiting for a week, and enduring a root canal! Once again, no new prose. That will have to change when I return because I need to get that last third of Evil Eddies written!

No comments: