Saturday, August 27, 2011

First Week's Word Count

To keep myself accountable, I'm going to publish my weekly word count at the end of each week on my Work-in-Progress, the third book in my RM Outdoor Adventure Mystery series starring whitewater river ranger Mandy Tanner. I usually get off to a good start on my rough draft manuscripts, because both I and the characters are raring to go once I stop work on my scene outline and character profiles and start writing. Where I tend to bog down is in the middle, and hopefully this public accounting will get me over that hump.

My goal for this week was 5000 words, and by working last night, I managed to write almost 7000 words, finishing chapters one and two. I'm very pleased with this progress, though I know the early chapters will need a lot of refining after I take my research trip to Cataract Canyon in Utah in September, which is the setting (and title) for the book.

Today, I'm teaching a workshop to a group of 35 middle-school-aged Girl Scouts at their CSI-themed campout near Woodland Park. Titled "Constructing a Mystery," I hope it gets their creative juices flowing, so they can brain-storm some potential mystery scenarios of their own.

3 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is a good idea, Beth. Maybe you can inspire the rest of us to work harder as well.

I'm about halfway through Deadly Currents and loving it. That first chapter was thrilling.

Beth Groundwater said...

Thanks, Pat! There's nothing like making your goals public to get yourself to stick to them. And, I'm so glad you've been "sucked into" Deadly Currents. ;-)

Deb said...

Excellent, Beth! 7000 words is a good, long spell of writing. Nice when the muse snags you and you don't know that time is passing.
Deborah/TheBookishDame