Thursday, January 29, 2009

Book clubs, book clubs, book clubs--originally posted 10/25/07

I've been having so much fun talking to book clubs lately, both in person and over the phone. Some sample clubs that I've met with include a library branch-based mystery book club, a mother-daughter book club, my aunt's book club in Georgia via phone, and my across-the-street neighbor's book club. The neighbor's group was fascinated that they could look out the living room window and see the house where a real-live author lives. Tee hee. :)

I usually open it up to questions right away or soon after an initial introduction because these folks who love to read are brimming with curiosity. I get some questions about the book itself, such as how I defined characters, researched settings, and decided on plot twists. But I also get a lot of questions about my life as an author, my writing schedule, what my family thinks of my writing, and so on. I'm happy to answer all questions to the best of my ability. Hey, what could be more fun than talking about yourself and something you created?

I'm finding these book club visits to be a lot more fun than standing in a bookstore and hawking my book, because these are people who love reading as much as I do. We invariably end up talking about our favorite books and trading recommendations. And I don't get asked where the restroom is or where the history books are located!

So if you're interested in having me visit your book club either via phone or in-person, click on "Beth's Web Page," and once you're there, click on "Contact Me." I'd be happy to set up a visit.


And as a January, 2009 update, I still consider book club visits to be my favorite type of event and do about one a month. Ask me to speak to yours!

7 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

FINDING these book clubs can be the real challenge sometimes! I've visited a few, but most aren't listed anywhere.
What resource do you use to find these clubs?

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Anonymous said...

Not to mention the people at a book club really want you there. In a bookstore most people haven't necessarily come to see you!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, and you know the folks in the clubs are getting a kick about having an author at their meetings. That sounds like fun all around.

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Beth

It sounds like fun. Now where will I find a book club for 4 to 8 year olds?

Shari
http://sharilyle-soffe.com

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Visiting bookclubs sounds like a wonderful idea. Any hints on how to find them?

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

Katie Hines said...

Sounds like you've found a niche. I've never been a part of a book club before, until just recently, and it is an online club, so I guess it's not the same.

Beth Groundwater said...

My book club contacts come primarily from word-of-mouth, and from local clubs finding me via my website after some local news item (such as a signing announcement or an interview) has appeared in the newspaper. At first, I contacted library book clubs to arrange visits, and for an author looking for children's book clubs, both libraries and bookstores have childrens' story hours and would probably love to have an author visit and read from his/her book.

Thanks, everyone, for following my blog and commenting while I've been on vacation. Today is my last full day in Mexico before I fly home tomorrow. It's been a wonderful respite, and I'm refreshed, tan, and ready to get back into writing.