Thursday, January 08, 2009

My First Writing Project of 2009

Tonight I turned in a short story to my critique group for review. This is my first writing project of the year, started on New Year's Day. I finished the rough draft yesterday and did some editing today, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I hope to submit it, after my critique group helps me whip it into shape, to the anthology that the Guppies (standing for the "great unpublished") online group of Sisters in Crime is planning to put together. Though I'm published now, the Guppies still let me hang around, thank goodness, because I've developed so many friendships in the group.

I'm also very happy to be writing fresh fiction again after many months of editing past projects to ready them for publication. My new year's resolution to set aside the mornings for fresh writing and to avoid getting online until after lunch seems to be working so far. This story had been knocking around in my brain for awhile and was just busting to come out. Hopefully, it blew open a door to creativity for the rest of the year!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck.

lucia said...

I enjoyed reading your 16 "things" about you. Thanks for mentioning in today's blog your resolution to not be on line during what must be your prime writing hours. I need encouragement to do the same. Let us know if you're keeping to that schedule. Mornings are/should be/ sacred to me!
Lucia

Morgan Mandel said...

Good for you. I'm glad you're allowing yourself to be creative.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for your "fresh" writing this year!

Anonymous said...

Best with your new writing in 2009. I'm doing the boring editing and outline thing at the moment
bill

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Beth

Going online can certainly pull you away from writing. I struggle to sort through everything and once again find time to write. They don't tell you how tough it is to find time to write once you are published. Good post!

Shari

Katie Hines said...

Hey, Beth, glad you got some "real" writing done. It is always a challenge for me to get some of the creativity flowing when I'm inundated with emails and office work. Glad to see you've achieved a balance.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Obviously you are on a roll if you wrote a short story in such a tiny span of time!
And I certainly understand the grind of editing...

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net