Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Just for Fun: How Do You Know You've "Arrived"?

Recently, I challenged the creative minds in the Rocky Mountain chapter of the Mystery Writers of America to list interesting ways for an author to know that she or he has "arrived". I didn't want the obvious ones like hitting the bestseller lists, getting a movie deal, etc. Instead, I was aiming for some laughs and maybe some head nods and "oh, yeahs". And, I'm not saying I've arrived--these are milestones I dream about attaining some day.

I came up with four to get them started:

1. A well-known blogger asks you to guest on their blog versus the other way around.

2. People STOP asking you to write their blockbuster story because they realize you're too busy.

3. A bobble-head doll for your main character exists.

4. You buy sharpies by the box versus one at a time.

Here's some that they added:

5. Someone says, "I've heard of you" instead of "Have I heard of you?" (Terry Odell)

6. When your name is larger than the title on the front of your book. (Sara Hoklotubbe)

7. When more people ask you to sign your book at a bookstore event than ask directions to the bathroom. (Laura DiSilverio)

What about you? Can you come up with a creative way for an author to know she or he has "arrived" to add to the list? Let's have some fun with this!

7 comments:

Suzanne Arruda said...

Someone asks you to go to lunch with them at a conference instead of the other way around (or leaving when you sit down and join them).
When your editor's assistant doesn't say "tell me again who you are" when you call.
When (at a conference) someone actually bids more than the base price on your auction basket

Beth Groundwater said...

Good ones, Suzanne! And I'll add one related to conference auctions:

When your "character name in my next book" item gets auctioned off in the live auction at a conference rather than the silent auction.

Marcia Talley said...

When someone asks you to speak at an event you really don't want to do, and they ask "How much do you charge?" so you name an outrageously high figure just to get out of it, and they come back with, "That won't be a problem."

Beth Groundwater said...

I love it, Marcia! Then you're stuck giving the presentation, huh?

Beth Groundwater said...

Lots of folks left ideas on Facebook:

"I think the first time you see your book on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. That was a major one for me! :D"
- Maureen Mullis

"I think it is the first time you are stopped by a stranger, handed your book and asked for an autograph. Still waiting."
- Patricia Gulley

"When I got a fan letter from someone I didn't know."
- Sean Patrick Little

"When strangers want to know when's the next book"
- Nancy Pate

"When authors I admire bought my books!"
- Kate Thornton

Great signs of "arrival," all of them. Keep 'em coming, folks!

N. R. Williams said...

I must imagine this one. When you stopping wondering that you arrived and realized everyone is expecting your arrival.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Picks by Pat said...

Could I get one of those bobble heads for my desk...just for inspiration?