Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Switching Gears...

I've been hard at work during the last two months writing the rough draft of the third book in the Claire Hanover gift basket designer mystery series. I've passed the half way point and can see the glimmer of a light at the far end of the tunnel. However, I've had to put that project aside for a little while.

Why? Because last Friday I received the galley proofs for the first book, titled Deadly Currents, in my new RM Outdoor Adventures series starring whitewater river ranger Mandy Tanner. This will be my last chance to make corrections in that book before it goes to print, so I will need to carefully comb through the pages.

Ever wonder where the term "galleys" or "galley proofs" came from? As Wikipedia states, "Galley proofs are so named because in the days of hand-set type, the printer would set the page into galleys, the metal trays into which type was laid and tightened into place. These would be used to print a limited number of copies for editing mark-up. The printer would then receive the edits, re-arrange the type, and print the final copy."

So, I'm switching gears to make those edits. 47-year-old, married Claire Hanover will give way to 27-year-old, single Mandy Tanner. Whitewater rafting scenes will take the place of gift basket construction scenes. One thing will remain the same, though--a murder will be investigated.

No comments: