Friday, October 22, 2010

The Muddle in the Middle

Today over at Inkspot, the blog for Midnight Ink authors, I've contributed a post on "The Muddle in the Middle." I'm in the middle of the rough draft of the current manuscript I'm working on--the third book in the Claire Hanover gift basket designer mystery series. And that's always where the writing bogs down. I talk about why.

And I'm asking for comments there. If you're a writer, when do you tend to lose that motivation or get bogged down in the writing? And if you're a reader, is the middle of a mystery when you start to get confused and the reading slows down? Do you find yourself going back in the book to remember things, as I often do?

3 comments:

Sheila Deeth said...

I rarely turn back (before the end) unless I've forgotten who a character was, and even then, I hope I'll pick it up soon. Kind of like watching a DVD. My husband always scrolls back when he misses something. I always want to keep going. After the end (book or movie) I'll search as much as I want.

Beth Groundwater said...

An interesting approach, Sheila. And it drives me crazy, too, when we're watching a DVD and my husband goes back to catch something he missed.

Picks by Pat said...

This maybe late but here's my two cents. I also get stuck around the middle when there is a lull in the action, but it's less of a problem when I have a good outline (as I do now). The main obstacle is just the day to day distractions, dealing with life, work or children (in my case, grandchildren) that keep me from the flow of the keyboard.