Monday, October 09, 2006

A Day with Mysteries

Last Saturday was another event of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of Sisters in Crime, A Day with Mysteries in Longmont, CO. I woke at 5 am to meet three other Sisters at 6 am to form a carpool to drive to Longmont. Two hours later, we arrived and helped with setup, so we were first in line for the Continental breakfast at 8:30 am. Linda Berry started the festivities with a raucous Mystery Trivia game. Prizes were Hershey kisses tossed by Linda to those who first guessed the answer to each set of clues.

I was the moderator for the first Author Panel, the Many Faces of Mystery, with Kathy Brandt, Carol Cail, Carol Caverly, and Troy Cook. This was followed by a workshop, Shortcuts to a Bestseller, given by editor/book doctor Jennifer Knight. After lunch, Jennifer led a second workshop, Crafting the Mystery Hero, which was followed by an author panel on Characters that Count. I served on this panel with Linda Berry, Ann Ripley, and Margaret Coel.

The event wound up with a booksigning. I had no books to sell, but I handed out a list of online short story market databases and order forms for the upcoming Map of Murder anthology that will include my short story, Murder Cache. I had a great time meeting some of my northern Colorado chapter sisters and chatting with writers about our shared love--the mystery novel.

No comments: