Friday, September 07, 2007

A Writing Lull...and Balance

A couple of weeks ago, I finished incorporating all the suggested edits from my critique group that I agreed with into my latest manuscript and gave it to another author friend to read cover-to-cover and give me feedback. That left me with no current writing or editing project to work on. I soon realized that I wasn't ready to start a new project. My muse protested, said she wanted to read some good books, watch a few good movies, get outdoors and get some exercise, etc. The well was dry and needed to be refilled.

I've learned not to push when my body and my muse tell me it's time to focus on other aspects of my life outside my writing life. So, these last few weeks I've been concentrating on getting back into an exercise routine and trying to lose those extra pounds I gained while eating out so much on the promotion trail this spring. I've also been enjoying those books and movies! When my friend has her comments ready on my manuscript, I'll tackle those edits, then hopefully, once that baby is put to bed and I've refilled the well of creativity again, ideas for a new project will start appearing in my dreams.

In the meantime, I'm preparing my talks for the Colorado Gold writing conference and the Great Manhattan Mystery Conclave this month. I'm looking forward to both and to reconnecting with a lot of old friends.

No comments: