Thursday, September 28, 2006

Open Critique

Last night my critique buddy, Bob Spiller, and I served as guest author critiquers for the Pikes Peak Writers' Open Critique meeting. I worked with four short story writers, and Bob reviewed a children's picture book and the first chapters of young adult, mystery, and fantasy novels. A universal problem with the short stories was not getting off to a fast enough (and interesting enough) start. Hopefully the advice I gave each writer was helpful, because I saw some real potential in their manuscripts.

Both Bob and I thoroughly enjoyed our time with the group and hope to do it again someday. And, the four short story writers I met with exchanged email addresses and plan to form an online critique group to review each other's stories. What a terrific outcome!

No comments: