Wednesday, November 03, 2010

A Teleconference with my Publicist

Yesterday I had an energizing teleconference with my Midnight Ink publicist, and I'm tickled pink by all the things her department is doing for my book. I'm used to minimal promotion support from Five Star, so this was a pleasant and welcome change. Not only is Midnight Ink sending review copies to the traditional book review publications and the mystery publications, they are also targeting outdoor-oriented and whitewater rafting magazines. Also, they accepted a list of Colorado media contacts and recommended online reviewers from me and may select some of them to receive review copies.

For someone who is used to arranging all my own appearances, it was nice to hear that the publicist will help arrange my launch signings. I'll still take care of the vast majority of my event arrangements, but it's nice to have some help.

Today I will be talking to the Deputy VP of Resource Development at American Rivers (a favorite cause of mine), and I will have some good news for him. Along with me arranging a fundraiser booksigning event for the nonprofit, Midnight Ink will donate some copies of Deadly Currents for them to use in silent auctions and as donor incentives. I hope this will be the beginning of a long and fruitful partnership between American Rivers and me. I plan to use my RM Outdoor Adventures series as a way to make more people aware of their good work.

I have many other promotion plans in the works, including a Goodreads giveaway or two, a blog book tour, possibly a book trailer, appearances at Colorado whitewater festivals, and so on. And, keep your fingers crossed for me! I think I've convinced the Publicity Manager that participating in the Mountains and Plains Independent Booksellers Association Trade Show, at least in a small way, is a good thing.

4 comments:

Sheila Deeth said...

Wow! A real publicist. Sounds like you're having an exciting time.

Beth Groundwater said...

Yes, Sheila, it's great to finally be working with a real publicist. :)

Sylvia Dickey Smith said...

Beth! I'm thrilled for you. Must feel mighty good! Well deserved!

Sylvia Dickey Smith

A War of Her Own

Ricky Bush said...

That sure sounds wonderful! Helps take the load off doesn't it? I realize that smaller publishers (such as my own) lament that they don't have deep enough pockets for providing more promotion. I do think, though, that the investment would sure pay dividends in additional book sales.