Friday, September 06, 2013

Lamenting the Loss of Colorado's Independent Bookstores


On November 8th, the third book in my Claire Hanover gift basket designer series, A Basket of Trouble, will be released. Normally around two-three months before a book release (about now), I start planning quite a few bookstore appearances in my home state of Colorado, so I can meet readers, talk about me and my books, and autograph a few copies.

I've developed strong relationships with independent Colorado bookstore owners who have hosted me over the years. Sadly though, many of them have closed their stores or are in the process of closing their stores. These include Reader's Cove in Fort Collins, High Crimes Mystery Bookstore in Boulder, Murder By the Book in Denver (which still has an on-line presence HERE), Beth Anne's Book Corner and Book Sleuth Mystery Bookstore in Colorado Springs, Black Cat Books in Manitou Springs, and Weber's Books and Drawings and Hamlet's Bookshoppe in my hometown of Breckenridge.

I will be contacting those Colorado bookstores that are still open where I have signed in the past to see if they want to host an event, but the numbers are dwindling. That means the number of appearances I'm making is dwindling, too. In 2007, when the hardcover edition of the first book in the Claire Hanover series, A Real Basket Case, was released, I made about 25 personal appearances, not including book club visits. For Fatal Descent, my most recent release in June of this year, I made about 12 personal appearances. I really would like to do more!

 If you live in Colorado, do you have a favorite local bookstore that you think I should visit? If so, please give me the name of the store, a point of contact, and the store's location in a comment on this post, and I'll follow-up. Thanks!

No comments: