Monday, December 12, 2011

Moving, Moving, Moving!


Today is packing day for my husband's and my big move to our retirement home in Breckenridge, Colorado. The truck will be loaded tomorrow and by Wednesday we expect to be happily ensconced in our new permanent home--among the mounds of boxes!

I do have a guest author this week on my blog, so I hope readers will tune in. The teaser will be tomorrow, and his guest post will appear on Wednesday. I even hope to check in on Wednesday myself! The computer will be one of the first things unpacked and set up.

It's been a hectic few weeks getting ready for this move, which included a lot of downsizing: selling furniture on Craig's List, toting vanloads of stuff to Goodwill, recycling, or the dump, pushing a lot of items into our kids' hands, donating books to the library, and more. I'm looking forward to being settled in a smaller home that will hopefully be easier to clean and maintain.

The last time we moved was in 1992, when we made the long relocation from Northern Virginia to Colorado Springs, Colorado. Does anyone have any moving tips for me? Any hints for maintaining my sanity? I'm sure I could use them!

2 comments:

Kath said...

I've moved 28 times in my lifetime. You're doing so well. You've done the hardest part, the prep. Now comes the excitement of seeing your things and you find new life in the new home.
Always fun to take a piece of furniture that always lived in the living room and give it a new duty in a bedroom instead.
I'd love to hear how you made the decision on it being time to move to that retirement home.
Are you talking about a home in a retirement community?

Beth Groundwater said...

Hi Kath,
Thanks for your comment! Actually, we're moving to what has been our second home or vacation home since 1997. Since our nest is empty, we're downsizing by selling the larger home in CO Springs and moving into our second home. Our retirement plan was always to move to Breckenridge and enjoy retired life in the mountains--skiing, hiking, etc. The impetus for the decision was the kids moving away.