Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Review from the 2000 Year Old Librarian

Doris Ann Norris is affectionately known by her many, many friends as the "2000 year old librarian." A retired library director, she is renowned in the world of mystery fiction. She served for five years as the Library Liaison on the national board of Sisters in Crime. She will be feted at the 2012 Bouchercon conference as the Fan Guest of Honor. I first met Doris Ann at a Mayhem in the Midlands mystery conference in Omaha, Nebraska, and I immediately felt a kinship with her as we swapped recommendations of favorite mystery books and authors.

When Doris Ann speaks, people listen, because she's known to have impeccable taste in mysteries. That's why I was absolutely thrilled when she posted a glowing review of my recent Deadly Currents release on the DorothyL email discussion list of lovers of the mystery genre. When I emailed her to thank her and ask her if I could share the review on my blog and website, she said, "You're welcome and you can certainly print any part you want. I'm looking forward to the next one..."

So, I won't copy her whole review here (you can search the DorothyL archives for that), but here are my favorite parts:

"Beth Groundwater has left wicker for water in Deadly Currents. Her new series features a river ranger (and former guide), Mandy Tanner of Salida, Colorado as she helps to make the Arkansas River safe for tourists and casual and more ardent adventurers who love (or just want to try) whitewater rafting.
...
Fast-moving and exciting, Deadly Currents is a most enjoyable mystery with a strong heroine of whom I wish to see more. From the blurb on the back of the book, I had no trouble seeing Beth as a 'river rat' and find these adventures more entertaining than gift baskets. Get on board for this series."

- Doris Ann Norris, the 2000-year-old librarian


Thank you, Doris Ann! In a related note, over 180 library systems that subscribe to the Worldcat Interlibrary Loan network already have copies of Deadly Currents on their shelves. Pick up a copy from your favorite bookstore or library and read it now!

2 comments:

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hi Beth,
Congratulations on your review.

A trip to the library is in my future.

Donna V.
http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

Beth Groundwater said...

Thanks, Donna! I hope you enjoy reading Deadly Currents.