Monday, April 25, 2011

A Skiing Easter in Breckenridge

Last week, I had three book promotion events on Saturday, Sunday, and Thursday, and this Thursday, I leave VERY early in the morning on a 10-day trip back east that will include 9 promotion events. In between, I needed a break from writing and promoting, so I did something completely different--I went skiing. I made some final powder turns for the season and got my legs good and achy during the last three days that the Breckenridge ski resort was open to the public.

Friday, I got back into my ski groove after a three week break since the last time I was on the boards. Saturday, my husband and I skied with friends Arlene and Jay. And, we had our picture taken with the Easter Bunny! In the first photo below, I'm solo with the bunny. In the second photo, my husband is the one with the white beard and dressed in blue.


Sunday, our college-age son came up with a friend of his to snowboard the mountain. I chatted with them briefly at the top of the Imperial Chair, but I didn't meet up with them again until we broke for a late lunch at 1:30 PM. Mom is too slow for these guys (including my husband!). I had one spill, blowing out of both skis in heavy, wet snow on the Boneyard run. There's a reason that black-diamond slope has that name! I managed to collect my gear and get going again, though.

At 2, the luau began on patio outside the T Bar at the base of Peak 8. Free samples of roasted pig, discounted drinks, rocking music, a roaming beach ball, and resort hospitality staff handing out chocolates all added to the festivities. My pina colada in a real coconut hit the spot! Folks came in all sorts of costumes, including Vikings, grass skirts and loud shirts, a banana, Nemo the fish, a penguin, a dog, and of course, lots of bunny ears.

After some libations, the young men hit the terrain park, and my husband and I hit the hot tub back at our Breckenridge home for a much-needed soak. The guys (and a young woman from school they found at the T Bar) joined us for an Easter dinner of ham, yams, broccoli, and homemade chocolate chocolate chip cookies made by my pastry chef son before they got in their cars for the snowy drive back to Denver.

Today, after laundry, cleaning, and catching up on email, we'll head back to Colorado Springs. Refreshed and relaxed, I'll start packing and finalizing plans for my east coast book tour.

No comments: